Friday, February 3, 2012

One Third

Today, I got to experience a HUGE perk to living in DC--celebrity spotting!  Now I'm sure your mind probably jumped to Hollywood, but I said a huge perk to living in DC.  I'm talking about spotting branches of the government!

Today was my school's final round of the moot court competition [sidebar for those who are unfamiliar with moot courts... teams of two draft briefs and conduct an oral argument in front of a panel of judges or justices in a mock appellate court].  The competition is always a big deal, and my school likes to get celebrity judges when they can.  This year, one of the judges was actually a Supreme Court Justice!  Justice Elena Kagan, the newest member of the Supreme Court!  She asked some tough questions that the competitors had to answer.  Whew!
She's the one in the middle.  Sorry for the crummy photos


 I have a sort of SCOTUS siting tally going on.  There are nine justices on the Supreme Court, and I have now seen 3 of them, bringing me to one third!  I've actually seen almost all of them because I have gone to the Supreme Court to hear arguments before, but I am only counting justices that I see in real life, and not in the courtroom.
You may have to take my word for it, since it's hard to tell it's actually her!
After the competition, there was a catered reception.  I only had a ticket to go to the argument, since the gold tickets were all given out really quickly, but a friend gave me his because he was unable to go.  Score!  I'm so glad I got to go too because the food was great!
Sooooo good!

Dinner buffet.
So I have now seen Justices Thomas, Ginsburg, and Kagan.  That leaves Justices Kennedy, Sotomayor, Scalia, Alito, Roberts, and Breyer!
--Catie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead... Make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...