Wednesday, January 30, 2013

More Weird Sicknesses

Our last blog was about having the stomach bug.  We've self-diagnosed ourselves, by the way, with the Sydney Norovirus.  Blech... I'm trying not to remind myself about that awful time :)  I'm going to continue the theme today though by discussing another random illness that afflicted the Allison apartment!

Last Friday, I went downstairs to the laundry room.  We had six loads of laundry to do from where we were sick the weekend before.  I loaded all the washing machines, and my legs started itching.  Then I looked down and my arm had a mosquito bite on it.  I thought that was weird... until I noticed what looked like 10 mosquito bites on my feet!

I ran back up to the apartment and stripped to find myself covered in hives!  All within about 5 minutes!  Derek received an odd text message from me that said "Ummmmm kind of an emergency, I'm broken out in hives" followed by a frantic phone call.  We had no benadryl in the house, so I headed out to a CVS Minute Clinic about a mile and a half away.  Derek was at the hospital with the car, so I started walking.

I forgot to mention that there was snow on the ground, and I was wearing leggings and a tank top and sandals with a coat and scarf thrown over top.  I got to the CVS about 40 minutes later, but I was three people down on the waiting list.  I weighed my options and decided to catch a cab to GW Student Health.

I braved the weather, found a cab, and finally got to the GW Student Health Center.... where I waited for nearly an hour to see a doctor!!


By this point, I'd been broken out for 3 hours and I was finally starting to return to a normal peachy color.  The doctor was great and gave me lots of Benadryl, and I caught a bus home.  

My immune system really needs to get on the ball!  I have classes, homework, interviews, and applications to do!!
At least I had this sweet cuddly kitty to keep me company when I got home :)
--Catherine 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead... Make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...