Sunday, July 22, 2012

In Absentia: Bringing Forth Life

Blake is currently (if you're reading today) two weeks into his first medical school rotation.  He's been on Obstetrics/Gynecology, and it's been quite the adventure!  Blake's rotation is just outside of DC in Virginia, and he has to round on patients just before 5 in the morning!  Needless to say, there have been some early mornings in our household!!
Old picture, but this is what Blake looks like every morning at 4 AM heading for the hospital!
I think it was a tough transition at first--getting up early, learning the hospital system, adjusting to a different life--but he is doing well now!  I think that may, in part, be due to the fact that he delivered a baby last week! About the experience, Blake says the following: 

"I was extremely touched by the experience. Although I was very nervous and worried that I would do the 'wrong' thing, delivering a baby was truly amazing.  I was able to be a part of a defining moment in a couple's life. While waiting for the placenta to deliver, I saw the father hold his child for the first time. I must admit, it was an emotional time for us all. Seeing his face light up with pure joy struck a chord in my heart. My eyes began to tear up and run down my face. It was an experience I will never forget. OB/GYN has been very tough so far. The hours are brutal and it is often very stressful, but it is these experiences that truly make practicing medicine meaningful. I am fortunate enough and trusted enough to be a part of people's lives--- often in the most private of circumstances. It is truly an amazing experience. As the next few months unfold, I have a lot of hard work ahead of me. I must work many long hours and often deal with a lot of unnecessary hierarchical b.s., but I am truly fortunate to be learning medicine here. I hope that I am able to keep a healthy perspective and remember such touching and defining moments as when I delivered my first baby."

Don't expect to be seeing too much of Blake around here during this rotation, since his hours are so long and his free time is limited.  I will try to keep everyone apprised of his situation as best I can!  One thing he didn't mention, but I found to be quite hilarious, is how the doctors often simply refer to him as 'medical student.'  As in "Medical Student... suction!" or "Medical Student... cut lower!"  or "No, Medical Student, cut higher!"  

Check back for more fun "medical student" updates!
--Catie (and some Blake)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead... Make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...