Wednesday, April 4, 2012

An Embarrassing Story

I'm going to tell an embarrassing story on myself.  It all started with this free coffee table that I picked up from an ad on craigslist in a somewhat shady part of town all by myself without telling anyone where I was going (that's not the embarrassing part... that's just the part where I admit that I was blissfully unaware of the crime rate in DC and didn't take a single step to ensure my own safety).

This happened last year, and I decided I wanted to make a bench out of this coffee table.  I don't know about you, but I need a creative outlet sometimes.  I think blogging and creating little projects around our apartment help A LOT.  This project was born from that desire to do something.

My mom found some foam on sale at a shop in Tennessee, and my dad brought it up with him one time when he was visiting.  I bought the fabric online, but unfortunately, the coffee table wasn't exactly right for what I wanted to do.  We ended up just folding the fabric under the foam and laying it on top of the coffee table.

The other day, I was brainstorming about what to do with this old thing.  And then it hit me!  Blake and I took a couple of hours to staple the fabric/foam to the rim of the coffee table.  Then, I found some cute trim online, and I have plans to hot glue the trim on top of the staples around the rim! PERFECT.
This is before the trim is added but after the staples were in
 Except.

Here's the embarrassing part.... 

I completely ordered the wrong amount of trim.   Today, I got about 5 feet of trim in the mail!!

I ordered the trim online after looking at dozens of different kinds.  I made sure the measurements were right for what I wanted, but I completely glossed over the description of what I was ordering!

Below you will see what I did not notice when I first looked.



So I read the first part and thought I had ordered 12 yards!  I didn't read the next line that said it was sold by the yard! Hahaha.

This is not a good sign coming from someone who is supposed to be awesome at reading the fine print!

Anyway, I ordered a single solitary yard of trim.  The person from the fabric store must have gotten a good laugh at my goof.  I paid more in shipping and handling than I did in fabric!  That must be why he or she gave me a couple extra feet.  Pity trim!  :)

2 comments:

  1. OMG the part about picking up the table in a shady part of town sounds exactly like me!! I go to shady garage sales in the summertime without telling loved ones all of the time! I get in trouble for it but it's soo worth it to get the good deals as long as I stay alive. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well - live and learn! lol I'm sure your bench will look gorgeous when you finally get the right amount! xx

    Anna (My Design Ethos)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead... Make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...