Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Easter Brunch!

Over the weekend, Blake and I enjoyed a fun Easter brunch with friends!  I spent the morning cooking up some delicious food.  I wanted to make something fun for brunch, and I stumbled across a picture with no recipe attached.   I was determined to recreate it as best I could, and this is what I came up with:
Using the source-less picture as inspiration, I ran to the grocery store and picked up the following ingredients:

1/2 pound of strawberries, quartered
1 small container of frozen whipped cream
1/2 a block of fat free cream cheese
Toothpicks for display!

And some skim milk to go along with the Bisquick that I used for the pancake portion of my recipe.

The recipe looks a lot more complicated than it was! I diced up a few strawberries and added the cream cheese and frozen whipped cream together.  Blake masterfully mixed it together until it was smooth.

Meanwhile, I made the pancakes.  I don't know if you can tell, but the pancakes are in the shape of Easter eggs and hearts!  I used our metal (I would highly suggest NOT using plastic haha) cookie cutters on the hot pan and poured the batter into the cookie cutter about 2/3 full.  When it started to get close to the top of cookie cutter, I flipped it over to get the other side.

Side note: This was not exactly a smooth process.  I kept burning myself on the pan and spilling the batter when I was flipping the cookie cutter over with tongs!  It was definitely a learning process ;)

After the pancakes were done cooking, I passed them off to Blake who had a system of extracting the shapely pancakes from the cookie cutter.  From there, I let the pancakes cool a little, and topped with my fun cream cheese mixture!  Afterward, I speared a quarter strawberry through the middle.  I sprinkled some syrup on them, and they were ready to go to Brunch with me and Blake!
Ohhhh and what a brunch it was!  Cat, always the creative cook, made Eggs Benedict with a deeeee-licious hollandaise sauce and myriad of toppings.  We ate well on Easter, that's for sure!
Poached eggs

After brunching ourselves silly and sipping on Mimosas, we sat around and chatted and ended up playing Taboo.  Taboo's the game where everyone is split up into two teams.  One person draws a card and has to get her teammates to guess the word on the card.  The person is restricted from saying certain other words though.

I was HORRIBLE.  You'd think I should know how to talk, right?  I was sooooo bad.  For example, I pulled the word 'Impeach' and then couldn't say the words: President, Clinton, Hearing, and something else.  The only thing I wanted to say after seeing the words I couldn't say was "President Clinton was Impeached at a Hearing!!!"  My team lost. Sorry guys!  I'll work on my Taboo skillz before next time!
Regardless of my horrible board game skills, we still had a lot of fun!  Brunch turned into  dinner time before we left!  It was a great way to spend the holiday.  Much better than last year... I had an exam the next day! :P
I hope everyone had Happy Easters!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead... Make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...