Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas! Holiday Survey.

I found this festive Christmas Survey on one of the blogs that I read, and I thought it would be fun to do on our blog too!  Merry Christmas, to our blog readers who celebrate Christmas! And without further ado:
24 Questions: Holiday Survey
Eggnog or hot chocolate?
Blake loooves eggnog, and I do too in small amounts.  Once I discovered there were eggs in it (don't give me too hard of a time!  There aren't dogs in hot dogs!), I got a little less eggnog-happy.  Give me a cup of hot chocolate though, and I am good!  I think Blake and I both love coffee over all the choices though. And coffee with some sort of Christmas-flavored creme... we're happy campers!

Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
She wraps them!  Haha seriously, why is Santa a man?  Doesn't that just perpetuate gender stereotypes with Mr. Santa doing all the work and Mrs. Santa Claus staying at home?  She's always holding cookies and stuff too.  Maybe I'll tell our little Future Child that Santa is a woman.  Anyway, I digress. Presents are wrapped because I love wrapping presents!  See this post for an example! :)


Colored lights on tree/house or white? 
Blake and I are classics, so we are white light fans.  Maybe if we have a house we might put up some colored lights on the trees outside or something. 

Do you hang mistletoe? No, none yet.  I do like finding mistletoe when Blake is around though! ;)


When do you hang your decorations up?
We have only been together for two Christmases, and both times, we waited until we were extremely stressed and then took a morning off to decorate for Christmas!  Two Christmases ago, it was a couple of days before Thanksgiving, and this Christmas it was right around Thanksgiving.  That's definitely different than a typical family decorating for Christmas! Ha ha :)

What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Blake says Squash Casserole.  Maybe it's not very festive, but Blake's mom makes a mean squash casserole and we both are craving it right now.

Favorite holiday memory as a child?
Blake: I (like 7 year old me) remember getting a ping pong table wrapped and taking up half of an entire room. When I was talking on the phone to Nanny about it, though, I didn't want anyone to know that I knew what it was so I remember her and I talking about how it was probably "a fort", like the ones I used to make as a child. For some reason, this has always been a special memory of mine.

Catie: Me and Becca used to stay up super late every Christmas Eve.  This was in part because we were in such a good mood we couldn't fight, so we were much more loving toward each other then.  The other reason we'd stay up late was so we could sleep some more instead of being awake for hours until my parents woke up.  My parents liked to procrastinate and wrap presents late at night on Christmas Eve, so they were always exhausted on Christmas morning.  By the time they'd get up and make breakfast, it was around noon.  Waking up at 7 AM is no fun when you have to be tormented by the Christmas trees and festively wrapped presents under the tree!  Anyway, the nights staying up with Becca were super fun.
One such Christmas Eve night back in 2004.
What is on your Christmas wish list?
Blake: I would like to visit a cabin in the mountains--- one that screams rest, relaxation, and beauty. I would be "snowed in" and there would be a fire keeping me warm, along with a bear rug on the floor.

Catie: I really want a new blender.  I had a blender here, but I accidentally melted it when I turned on the eye of the stove near it (seriously small kitchen!).  I melted the plastic, and I wanted to keep using it, but the medical student in the relationship said that melted plastic releases crap you don't want to be eating.  Anyway, I'm in the market for a new blender.  I also have some other house stuff on the list.


Do you open a gifts on Christmas Eve?
Becca, Ben, and I talked our parents into letting us open one gift on Christmas Eve a few times, but for the most part we're Christmas purists and only open on Christmas Day.  Now that Blake and I are melding Christmases, we take Christmas whenever we're visiting with family and we're all together.  This year, it's Christmas Day at my parents' and a few days later at Blake's parents.

How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
We have a little fake tree with about 10 ornaments on it that we have collected since getting married. I expect that in a few years it'll fill out more.

Snow? Love it or dread it?
Always love it!

Real tree or fake tree?
I always had a real one growing up, and I have many fond memories of going and cutting it down or picking it out.  With just me and Blake, we opted for a cheap, fake one so as to reduce the time it took preparing it.  It's more economic right now to go with the fake tree.

Do you remember your favorite gift?
Blake: My Ovation Acoustic/Electric Guitar. It was my dream guitar, and my mom picked it out all by herself and surprised me with it. The perfect gift, and I play it everyday some 8 or 9 years later.

Catie: When Becca and I were in high school, Granny Bettye got us our first ever digital camera. After that I became a picture fanatic!  It was the start of an era that has not yet ended! :) 

What’s the most important thing about Christmas for you?

Being with Blake and family.

What is your favorite holiday dessert?
Blake: Pumpkin Pie.
Catie: I'll take ice cream any day of the year.


What is your favorite tradition?
Blake and I both love reading books on our Kindle and eating little treats.  I always think of walnuts and coffee and chocolate, etc.

What tops your tree?
We currently have no tree topper.

Do you prefer giving or receiving?
My family makes fun of me for how excited I get about giving gifts, especially when I think I've found something really great or that I think they'll really love.

What is your favorite Christmas song?
We Three Kings.  It's such an epic song.  I sing it all Christmas long and make up the words when I can't think of them fast enough. I think I was singing it like this this morning:
We three kings of Orient are
Bearing gifts we travel afar
leftward leaning still with meaning.....

Candy canes, yuck or yum?
Yummmm...! I also had a peppermint chocolate milkshake from Chick-fil-A the other day that was delicious!

Favorite Christmas movie?
We got Holiday Inn for Christmas last year, and it's probably my favorite right now.  Don't mess with Bing and Fred!
Source

Do you have a Christmas morning tradition?
We wake up around 11 AM, and my mom makes some sort of sugary treat to get us ready for the big event.  At my house, we each get one present handed to us at a time and we all watch while we open it.  Then, someone takes a picture of us with our present held up to our face and someone else gets a picture of us hugging whoever got the present for us.   It's never been a spoken rule, but that's how it usually goes.
This picture combines the hug and the 'beside the face' picture
Blake's family, when they were young, would wake up before the sun was up to open presents.  Now that they're older, the present opening happened a little later in the morning.  Blake's brother, Marcus, hands out all the presents at the beginning, and then we go around one at a time opening each gift. And then we always forget about stockings and get a whole 'nother Christmas when we remember stockings!
And now that we're married, we get to experience both of our families' Christmases!  :)

Do you prefer to shop on-line or at the mall?
Oh man, I got 90% of my Christmas shopping done online.  I love it!  Especially Amazon Prime's free shipping.  Blake did some online and some in-store.  I can't wait to see the box wrapped under the tree from him! :)

Christmas letter or Christmas card?
We send out Christmas cards to a few people (stamps cost money that we do not have, people!) each year (again, this is only our second Christmas married!). I saw a skit one time making fun of pretentious Christmas letters, and I'm not sure I'll be able to send out a Christmas letter without thinking of it:

"Little Johnny has skipped three grades because his teachers tell us he's the smartest child they've ever had the privilege of teaching" 
"Carla got a promotion at work, but we're spending all seven figures just as quickly as she's earning them" 
"Little Cheryl is already being recruited for Juliard at age 6"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead... Make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...