Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Little Too Close For Comfort

Blake and I haven't had too many issues with living in DC, even though it's ranked one of the most dangerous cities in the United States.  Part of the reason is that a lot of the crime is localized in certain districts.  At the same time, there are a lot more crimes than we were ever used to at Lipscomb.  Once in Nashville, a guy shot someone, and our campus literally shut down until the perpetrator was in police custody.  Now, Blake and I are used to our school sending out alerts about various crimes nearby. 

These past couple of days have gotten a little too close for comfort though.  Sometime last week I got an email about a student who was robbed in the University Yard, right outside of the law school.
Source
The buildings to the right are my law school.  Granted, this robbery took place just after midnight.  I've stayed pretty late at school, but I have to take a bus home, and I usually don't stay past 11 PM.

Today, Blake and I got an email that shook us both up.  We've been studying at Georgetown's library in the evenings and walking back home late.  Most of the time we leave somewhere between 8 PM and 11 PM.  Blake found a shortcut that goes down a road and then cuts through a little park.  We've been taking it every night, even though we promised each other not to take it by ourselves since it is very isolated and creepy at night.

Well, last night, two assailants grabbed a student on that road around 9 PM.  One person in dark clothes with a bandana over his face grabbed the student, and the other assailant drew a knife.  They took the student's wallet and left.  Blake and I left Georgetown around 8 PM last night.  If we had not driven, we would have walked, and probably would have walked on that exact same path where the student was robbed.  Thankfully, we took our car down to the library yesterday.

If you'd like to read the report, you can see it here.

Needless to say, Blake and I will not be taking the shady shortcut anymore, and definitely not alone! CREEPY!

2 comments:

  1. Be careful. Stay in the light. Take the car. I want you two to stay safe.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead... Make my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...